Monday, August 31, 2009

The Hour I First Believed (by Wally Lamb)


I finished this book this weekend. It took me three weeks to read this for many reasons. One, it was long with small type, two, I had a hard time getting through, three, too many characters. This was a well written, dynamic, and complex book. It starts off with the Columbine shootings, and ends on a farm in Connecticut. This book is about one man - Caelum Quirk, and the aftermath and emotional turmoil of the Columbine shootings, and its effect on his wife Maureen, who suffered PTSD from the shootings (she was in the library (this is ficitional character)). It also goes into Caelum's family and ancestors. I had a hard time with characters that were mentioned in the beginning and then not mentioned again until page 400 and had to refresh my memory. Its very historical and sometimes I felt a bit slow. It wasn't a can't put down book, but if you are in the market for a very developed, character driven book, this one is for you. But if you are looking for a light read, I'd pass.
Rating: Just okay.
Up next: American Wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment