Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake (by Aimee Bender)

I read this book a few weeks back, on recommend from one of my besties. I liked it. I didn't loveee it. But I liked it. This book concerns a girl, who ate the age of 9, realizes that she can feel the emotions of the person who made the food she is eating when she eats the food they made (got that?). She quickly realizes how sad her mom is, despite her mom's peppy exterior. The book then chronicles her teenage years having to learn to deal with the ability to tell what someone is really feeling inside. There are some relationships thrown in there, as well as some heartbreak. If anything, this book made me think about what its like to "mask" your emotions if you will. How often do we do that? Pretend to be happy when we are crying inside? Or pretend to love something when in fact you hate it? I would have loveed this book if there hadn't been this weird, unexplained thing with the brother, I didn't feel like there was an adequate explanation. But I'll let you be the judge. I recommend it if you don't mind reading about super human powers, and are able to suspend reality for about 300 pages.

Up next: Commencement (by J. Courtney Sullivan) - already finished this, currently reading The Likeness (by Tana French)

No comments:

Post a Comment