Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Help (by Kathryn Stockett)


This was a great book, as is evidenced by the fact that it is a National Bestseller. This books concerns 1950s, Jackson, Mississippi. And is told from the perspective of three women - Miss Skeeter, Aibeleen, and Minny. The age range of characters in this book is primarily 23-30 year olds, and 50-60 year olds. This book centers around the interactions between women, whether black or white, whether friends or maids. It catalogues the relationship dynamics between all different types of women. It focuses also on the dynamics of the societal times during the 1950s and the different race relationships. It centers on a white woman, Miss Skeeter, who decides to write a book upon the urging of an editor in NYC. She decides to write the book about how "The Help" are treated in Jackson, Mississippi, and is helped by several maids/nannies in Jackson who contribute with their stories of working for women in Jackson. It was a well written book that gives a different perspective to the 1950s. I wasn't thrilled with the ending, but I understand why it was written the way it was. If you read the authors own personal story in the back of the book it makes a lot more sense why she chose to write about this topic.
Rating: Altogether good.
Up Next: The Story of Forgetting (by Stephen Block) (its for my book club).

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to pick this up, but have made a deal with myself that I have to read a few of the MANY unread books on my shelf first. Guess I better get reading so I can start book shopping again soon!

    ReplyDelete